Saturday, April 18, 2015

Banned in Boston: 5 star read- Carry the Ocean

Title: Carry the Ocean

Author: Heidi Cullinan

Publisher/GR Link: Samhain, GR

Genre: MM Contemporary

Vice: Autism, Emotional issues, disability

Rating: 5 AMAZING stars

Lock this book up: 3 keys.  Sex is a supporter to the love

Length: Novel

Satisfaction: HEA/HFN

Cover Impressions: Love it

Best Line: "Like I said, I'm awesome.  I'm Emett David Washington. Train man."

Synopsis:  Normal is just a setting on the dryer.  High school graduate Jeremey Samson is looking forward to burying his head under the covers and sleeping until it’s time to leave for college. Then a tornado named Emmet Washington enters his life. The double major in math and computer science is handsome, forward, wicked smart, interested in dating Jeremey—and he’s autistic.

But Jeremey doesn’t judge him for that. He’s too busy judging himself, as are his parents, who don’t believe in things like clinical depression. When his untreated illness reaches a critical breaking point, Emmet is the white knight who rescues him and brings him along as a roommate to The Roosevelt, a quirky new assisted living facility nearby.

As Jeremey finds his feet at The Roosevelt, Emmet slowly begins to believe he can be loved for the man he is behind the autism. But before he can trust enough to fall head over heels, he must trust his own conviction that friendship is a healing force, and love can overcome any obstacle.

Impressions:  I have always loved Heidi Cullinan's work.  I have been impressed by her nuanced characters who grow and adapt to their realities with grace and a  strength that I always admire.  So, when I saw this book, I knew I would read it, but I never knew I could love it so much.

These boys are amazing, and they will break your heart and open your eyes and mind.  I cannot believe how much this book made me feel and learn, and I loved every second.  My sister has a mild form as Aspergers, and I love her like crazy.  She is very successful and intelligent, but she struggles with many things that Emett does as well.  Though I know about her issues, it can be hard to be faced with them, and hard to be on the receiving end of them.  Reading about Emett made me realize how much my sister struggles on a daily basis. There is knowing, and then there is being cognizant, and this book helped to remind me of the struggles and strength it takes her to just "be" some days.  

This novel is simply beautiful.  I felt my heart go out to these two men, and I was so awed by their strength and growth.  I rooted for them with each step that they take.  Cullinan's views on Depressive and Anxiety disorders are also poignant, informative, and emotional.  Never does Cullinan let us pity these people, but instead she lets us into their hearts and minds so we can feel their strength and share in their growth.

There are so many things I can say about this book, but its truly a work of art, and I encourage everyone to move it to the top of their TBR pile.

I have to say, I usually stick to MM for my recreational reading, and when I heard the next book in the series was not MM, I figured I'd just stick to the ones that are.  I can say there is NO way that I will miss the next book, or any book, in this series.  I'm already half in love with the MC of book #2, and frankly I'd read the telephone book if Emett and Jeremey made guest appearances!


No comments:

Post a Comment