Monday, September 15, 2014

Micro Reviews!

Hello Blogger friends!

I apologize for the delay in reviews!  Back to school has meant seating charts, lesson plans, and piles of papers already.  Reading has been my escape, but sadly the brief forays have been few and far between.  I'm reading an AMAZING series right now, (Joanna Chambers- THANK YOU! Review to follow when I'm done!)

Some of these reads rounded out my summer and the beginning of my school year.  Though they were light entertainment, they didn't grab me the way books do.  Some of these are very popular in MM reading groups, though, so check them out for yourself!  As Levar Burton said, "you don't have to take my word for it!"

Title: Moving Mountains

Author:  TN Tarrant

Publisher and GR Link: Dreamspinner, GR

Rating:  3/5 Stars

One Line Summary: Gay guy marries a woman, who then falls into a coma, and years later he falls for her physical therapist.

Thoughts:  A light, enjoyable read.  Sometimes the drama was a little over the top, but it was a great escapist read.  I really enjoyed the unique family structure.
________________________________________________________________________

Title: You Can See Me

Author:  AE Via

Publisher and GR Link: Amira Press, GR

Rating:  3/5 Stars

Few Line Summary: Guy thinks he is straight, has a bitchy GF, and goes blind.  They break up.  He meets a hot guy.  Now he's kinda gay.  Big misunderstanding.  Meets another hot gay guy.  Too many gay guys?  Nope! MMM Presto Chango!

Thoughts:  I know MANY, MANY people love this one, but I wasn't totally sold.  Not poorly written or anything, I just never connected with these guys, though many have!  Check it out if you are looking for a hot MMM.
____________________________________________________________________________

Title: Saving Kane

Author:  Michelle Rakes

Publisher and GR Link: Loose ID, GR

Rating:  2/5 Stars

One Line Summary: Gay guy is terrible brutalized and raped, and then taken in my his (straight?) EMT.  More brutality ensues but somehow evolves into a love story.

Thoughts:  I couldn't get past some of the dub con/non con stuff in here.  I don't mind some boundary pushing (in fact I usually like it) but not after a brutal rape that has been explicitly described.  It just totally turned me off to the characters.  When well done, this can work, but the characterization wasn't built up enough to support the actions, and I disconnected from them.  Again, some love it, but it wasn't for me.  I will say that there were some cute secondaries (Miss Beulah!)
________________________________________________________________________________

Title: Pulling Leather (Pick Up Men #3)

Author:  LC Chase

Publisher and GR Link: Riptide, GR

Rating:  2.5/5 Stars

One Line Summary: Guy who bullied gay guy now knows he is gay, but fights it and refuses to acknowledge it, even when no one but him really cares anymore.  For some reason, another cute cowboy falls for him.

Thoughts:  I loved the first two books, but this suffered from a character who harped and harped on his gay identity until I, a normally compassionate reader, was SO sick of it.  It went on too long and it, like the previous book, made me disconnect from Scott.  I liked it in parts, and it was a light read, but by the end I was sick of his whining and I didn't know believe he was ready to be in a relationship with anyone.  Again, if you like the series, give it a whirl, but it wasn't as romantic as the previous ones.  It was, however, well written and I loved seeing some old favorite MC's again.  I'm glad I read it, but I felt myself looking forward to the next one with more hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment